If anybody is in the area of Tacos Zaragoza in the East Village (14th + A), could you please pick me up a copy of the DJ/Rupture & Sonido Martines ‘1100 vs 2200’ mix CD. It’s only available to buy at this Taco spot. I got into cumbia via these two, ellos saben muchisimo.
DJ/rupture, who I focused on in the previous posts was responsible for bringing the cumbia heat to my ears, via his Mudd Up! radio program. For me, two of the principle movers are Sonido Martines, and El Hijo de la Cumbia. We moved to have El Hijo perform at the Clandestino Festival a few years back, and he did just right, smashed it, Sweden loved the tropics. Why it’s taken somebody so long to bring him down to Tenerife is beyond me, but hey, it’s finally happening, with our man dropping a set on the Santa Cruz massive on Saturday, at the Mumes festival. You can purchase his Freestyle de Ritmos lp on /rupture’s Soot label here
Vibrations in the air formed this phrase and was caught by my ears….
Infinite boiling softens the stone.
Ear Conditioning 39
Tonight at Sunhole Radio 22h00 GMT+1 (Repeated weekdays 11h00)
Friday at eFM / Radio Sarajevo 20h00 GMT+1
Jimi Hendrix / And the Gods Made Love (Polydor)
Jilala Wedding Procession from Moroccan Trance Music: Jilala, Gnaoua
Flying Lotus / M Theory (Warp)
Twinkle Brothers & The Trebunia Family Band / Don’t Betray Me (On-U Sound)
Andy Fairley / Precinct of Sound (On-U Sound)
King Midas Sound / Frequencies (Hyperdub)
Sonido Martines / Rebajadas van a Brooklyn (Soot/Dutty Artz)
Tom Zé / Curiosidades – Amon Tobin Remix (Luaka Bop)
The Melvins / Civilized Worm
Boogie Down Productions / I’m Still No.1
Public Enemy / Rebel Without a Pause (Def Jam)
The Cramps / TV Set (EMI)
Boards of Canada / You Could Feel The Sky (Warp)
Ninja Tune XX Presents King Cannibal ‘The Way Of The Ninja‘ / Welcome To Our Ageing Sideshow (Ninja Tune)
Jimi Hendrix / Moon, Turn The Tides…Gently, Gently (Poydor)
More field recordings from Chris Watson, things like the sea, beetles and whales coming up for air.
New joints from Tony Allen & Jimi Tenor, (now that’s a collaboration outta this universe); Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry doing Black Sabbath, then bass-line warped by Pempi, soon to come on On-U Sound; a couple joints from the Nueva Cumbia album compiled by Sonido Martines for /rupture’s Soot label; Mungo’s HiFi with Earl 16 remixed by LD.
Not new but fresh still, Grantby (where are you?); Stina Nordestam getting the Techno Animal treatment, and nuff more.
- Chris Watson – Lioness threatening…(Touch)
- Tony Allen & Jimi Tenor – Sinuhe (Strut)
- Elsa – Sonido Martines Remix (Soot)
- Fauna – Piratas del Zanjo (Soot)
- Chris Watson – Deathwatch Beetle (Touch)
- Mungo’s Hi Fi – International Roots featuring Earl 16 – LD Remix (Dub Police)
- Positive Mind (Studio Rockers)
- Salvador Dali – Talks about Paranoia
- Mike Slott – Cadeting (Rush Hour)
- Yoggyone – Preparation (Electrons Libres)
- Flying Rhythms – Typhoon
- Grantby – Timber (Cup of Tea)
- Heliocentrics featuring Vast Aire – Sirius B. (Now Again)
- Joker – Untitled RSN (Tectonic)
- Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry – Iron Man Dub – Pempi Remix (On-U Sound)
- Stina Nordestam – People are strange – Techno Animal Remix (eastwest)
- Chris Watson – 10m (Touch 7″)
- Chris Watson – Southern Right Whale (Touch)
Ear Conditioning is ‘earable at Sunhole, Tuesday 22h00, (repeated weekdays mornings at 11h00)
Mente – Cat by Jesus de Miguel
Sonido Martines presents: Nueva Cumbia Argentina!
Pincha aqui para escuchar un tema, Los Destellos ‘Elsa’ (Sonido Martines remix featuring FeFe)
The album is available now from Boomkat and other quality establishments.