Flying Lotus must be the most arresting thing I’ve come across since 2008. The first thing I heard was the remix he did for King Midas Sound, then the 2 x 3 EP and Los Angeles LP. I’ve been trying to catch up ever since, getting my paws on the 1983 album and the Reset release, besides his production jobs for Reefer, John Robinson, and the Radiohead remix he did. He interprets his dreams very very well.
When I drop his tunes at Txola, they are bigger that anything else I play. He has nailed it in managing to produce music that comes not from left and right speakers, but they seem to occupy above, bottom, behind, in front as well as left and right. And the sound system in Txola ain’t even that good!?….sorry Pedro, but you did ask me what I would like to see changed, and I did say get some bass-bins didn’t I?)
Anyway Mr. Lotus’ new album, Cosmogramma will drop first week of May, tracklisting reads as follows, and it’s good to see that Laura Darlington continues her association with him. Also on this album, vocals from Thom Yorke.
Yes, that juvenile feeling of anticipation is moving through my veins, I love it.
01 Clock Catcher
03 Nose Art
04 Intro//A Cosmic Drama
05 Zodiac Shit
06 Computer Face//Pure Being
07 …And the World Laughs With You [ft. Thom Yorke]
09 Mmmhmm [ft.Thundercat]
10 Do the Astral Plane
12 German Haircut
14 Dance Of the Pseudo Nymph
15 Drips//Auntie’s Harp
16 Table Tennis [ft. Laura Darlington]
17 Galaxy in Janaki
While on the subject of speaker spazms, check out fellow Brainfeeder, Ras G, and his latest mix, available hear (sic).
Plenty in the pot tonight, starting with Vilayat Khan from the Film India album that he shares with Ravi Shankar.
More from Shafiq Husayn, Paul White, Dr. No’s Ethiopium, a new joint from Dub Gabriel with U-Roy; Massive Attack with longtime collaborator Horace Andy; Rap newness from Profisee and Emprom; Bottom end movers from Cessa, who I don’t think bother a myspace page/website, they just throw their energy into their music; Some old joints from the 1983 album of Flying Lotus, one featuring the suave vocals of Laura Darlington aka Mrs. Daedelus, who will be on his new album due in a few months…..uh, got word today of a full album to come from Manusa, who are part of CIAfrica. Word via the keyboard/screen is that DJ/rupture is working on a mixtape for them too. In the meanwhile soak up the Manusa tune here, or download the CIAfrica History 3 via the above link.
Hyperdub kick of the new decade in fifth gear, courtesy of DVA, and the link strengthens with Zomby having a go at Martyn’s ‘Hear Me’.
My man Scalper has a new website up and running to check it for the goods, click up dis.
For the program, tune in via Sunhole, tonight at 22h00, or if next week suites you better sir, go to Radio Norte, which are one week behind in terms of transmitting the program, meaning you can catch last weeks program tonight at 21h00.
Until next time, PEace.
- Vilayat Khan – Fire Dance (Él Records)
- Shafiq Husayn – Intro_ Electra (Rapster)
- Shafiq Husayn – All Dead (Rapster)
- Paul White – An illusion interlude (One Handed Music)
- Paul White – Dream State /Dam Tales (One Handed Music)
- Manusa – Combinasions (CIAfrica)
- Muslimgauze vs. Rootsman – Mecca
- Dr. No’s Ethiopium – Excalibur (Stones Throw)
- Dr. No’s Ethiopium – Butta (Stones Throw)
- Dub Gabriel featuring U-Roy – Luv ‘n Liv (Destroy All Concepts)
- Massive Attack featuring Horace Andy – Girl I Love You / She is Danger remix (Virgin)
- Martyn – Hear Me / Zomby mix (3024)
- DVA – Natty (Hyperdub)
- Cessa – Question (Missing Link Sounds)
- Profisee and Emprom – Zoning / RVLT Remix (Cloak & Dagger)
- Bullion – Say Goodbye to What (One Handed Music)
- Flying Lotus – Shifty (Plug Research)
- Naggo Morris – Flour Power (Barcelona Raval Sessions)
- Scalper – Threepointonefour (Border Music)
- Flying Lotus featuring Laura Darlington – Unexpected Delights (Plug Research)
- Public Enemy -Final Count Of The Collision Between Us And The Damned (DefJam)