I saw a video post last week by Jneiro Jarel aka Dr. Who Dat?He was a broken man, discussing how his computer with all his music went tits up. Albums worth of material yet to be released, poof, gone all gone to digital heaven. A few of us know that feeling all too well. Back up the back up, and yes, back that up too. This is his latest venture, Camouflaged Thieves and below that, DRC Music, with Damon Albarn, Dan The Automator and a large cast and crew of singers and players from Democratic Republic of Congo. Coming up third is ‘Brazilian Thought’, my introduction to Dr.Who Dat? and Jneiro. Different shizzle for sure. Jneiro’s website https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQH_0dx7oUo https://youtu.be/63TAIaNxBuM?list=PLVrhVhZKxeYohXg4YEYwRYjrnPRe516xi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aae-WdRJluc
“It’s really hot but it’s got air-conditioning,” says Doom, when asked if his mask might make things a bit stuffy on a hot day like today. “It sits a little bit away from my face,” he adds, and this is important because it means he can still drink beer during the interview. “That,” he adds with a chuckle, “is the main thing.”
In the lead up to the release of the album Keys to the Kuffs from Jneiro Jarel and DOOM, the Guardian’s Paul Lester gets time with MetalFace himself.
Read more here. You can stream the whole album too, it’s out on Monday. Big up Jneiro on the beats!
Bite the Thong!
Update: Fact Magazine got an interview with Doom too.
Ear Con 53 – Trapped in the Room With You
What’s that damn noise?
Lykke Li / I Follow Rivers – Tyler, The Creator Remix
Massive Attack / Girl I Love You So feat. Horace Andy (Virgin)
Dorian Concept / Toe Games Made Her Giggle (Ninja Tune)
Jneiro Jarel / Gosohaurd (Label Who)
Pixies / Bone Machine – Live
Pixies / U Mass – Live
Pixies / Isla de Encanta – Live
Audio Shrapnel in Mix Mode
Transmission times: Sunhole – Tonight 22h00 GMT (Repeated weekday mornings at 11h00 GMT)
Friday via The Magic Show at eFM Studentski Radio Sarajevo 18h00 CET
Sad news via Anne Haak aka Mohak, the passing of one half of the Argentinian Cumbia-tronic producers Fauna. Federico Rodriguez died on the weekend, last day of their current tour, I don’t think he was even thirty yet. Links to Fauna download packages via the Fauna in the tracklist below. I was hoping to have them perform a festival next year. We’ll be spinning some Fauna material to keep that flame burnin’.
Good to see Massive Attack are onto the Jneiro Jarel train. He’s been roped in to remix the track Atlas Air from the Heligoland album. The Atlas Air remix package, released to support charity War Child is available now. Also on the freshly unwrapped goods tip, car battery energizing label Eglo come with a new platter of synth plunderings from Arp 101, and UK rapper DELS, gets the clutter off his chest with new single for Big Dada.
It’s all in there for this weeks show, the blues from John Lee Hooker, Indian film music, cumbia, beats, Afrobeat, industrial strength noise from 2nd Gen, frizzed circuitry from Ras G, and tons mo’. That Akoyo Afrobeat track is good one to put on when a toilet break is needed during the dj set, especially when it gets rammed at Txola, which reminds me, I will be there this saturday night, manning the decks from 11pm ’til 2am.
Ear Con46 – Improvised Explosive Device
- Intro: 2nd Gen/And,Or vs. The Beatnuts
- Massive Attack / Atlas Air – Jneiro Jarel’s Lavender Remix (Virgin)
- Tricky / Pondersosa – Dobie’s Rub Part 1. (Island)
- Aurita Castillo / Chambacu
- Mech / El Baile del Vivo (+0)
- Fauna / Piratas del Zanjon – Frikstailers Remix – Sonido Martines presenta: Nueva Cumbia Argentina (Soot)
- Arp 101 / Flush (Eglo)
- Bugskull / Subterranian Life (Digitalis)
- Vilayat Khan / The Kite Song – The River Le Fleuve (El Records)
- Lata Mageshkar / Title Unknown
- Ras G & The Afrikan Space Program / 1derful Beings (Ramp)
- 2nd Gen / Slowburn featuring Mau (Mute)
- John Lee Hooker / House of Blues (Pye)
- Akoyo Afrobeat / B.F.B.F. Panama
- Cannibal Ox / Pidgeon Instrumental by El-P (Def Jux)
- DELS / Trumpalump (Big Dada /Ninja Tune)
I reached out for some ambient movements this week. As I put my hands on the second CD in the Virgin ‘Ambient’ series, and looked at the tracklisting, saw Robert Fripps’s contribution, and I recalled doing the press for a Robert Fripp / David Sylvian project that came out on Virgin Records back in the day. When I met Robert he embarked on the story of how the man behind EG Records, had ripped off Robert and several other artists on the label. For our next meeting, Robert came loaded with photocopies of all the documents relating to his case. I don’t know how he carried them all to be honest, hundreds of pages of correspondence, legal papers, faxes, telexes, notes etc. He is one serious dude. When he does something, be it King Crimson, whatever, he doesn’t do things by halves. Just noticed that he’s performed on a new work by Grinderman, i didn’t expect that one at all, Mr. Fripp has no limits. That is the vague theme of today’s program / mix, let it all out, live it, do what ya want.
Example, rapper/producer Oh No, and his Dr. No Ethiopium project. Not what you would have expected.
Jneiro Jarel, he behind Shape of Broad Minds, doing exactly what he wants, no follow fashion.
Daedelus, the same, off on his own tanget.
Silkie, embracing a lot of music of the last 20 years to create his own vision of now and a possible future.
You get the picture.
Ear Conditioning 33 – A World of Possibilities
- Daedelus / An Armada Approaches (Brainfeeder)
- Oh No / Pardon Me (Stones Throw)
- Oh No / Madness (Stones Throw)
- Samiyam / Return (Hyperdub)
- Foreign Beggars featuring Jesht & Kashmere – Om Unit Andromedan Battlemix
- Robert Fripp / Water Music (Virgin)
- CV313 / Subtraktive – King Midas Sound Remix
- The Bug featuring Warrior Queen / Poison Dart – Skream Remix (Ninja Tune)
- Silkie – Techno 22 (Deep Medi Musik)
- S.U.A.D. / Epeleptic – Martyn’s No Strobe Mix
- Shape of Broad Minds / Raiders of the Lost Mix (Lex)
- Voyager / Arrival (Underworld/Virgin)
Transmission: Tonight Sunhole dot net 22h00 London/Tenerife Time
Tonight’s transmission contains the following ingredients:
Jneiro Jarel, Gonjasufi, The Bug & Roger Robinson, BLK KJS, James Blake, Boards of Canada, Dodge Vyrus, Jah Stitch, Africa HiTech, King L Man, Flying Lotus, Bugskull
Did I leave anything out? I may have done, but I have no problem showing you the contract.
Tune in via Sunhole dot net, 22h00 GMT (Tenerife/London Time y’all)
Listen via Sunhole dot net, tonight at 22h0 (Tenerife.London)
- Doudou N’Daiye Rose – Rose Rhythm (Virgin France)
- Flying Lotus – Melt (Warp)
- African Head Charge – Belinda (On-U Sound)
- Poirier – Militaris Riddim (Ninja Tune)
- Farook Sharma – Bellydance
- Unknown Artist – Oh Mother, the handsome man tortures me (Sublime Frequencies)
- Future Sound of London – Papau New Guinea Dub (Jumpin’ and Pumpin’)
- Matty G – 50000 Watts – Loefah Remix
- Oh No – Excalibur (Stones Throw)
- El-P – Garbage No.1 (DefJux)
- El-P – Dirtier Than Thou (DefJux)
- El-P – Sparrow [Escape from the tombs] (DefJux)
- Mutamassik – Commo the Rag
- Bugskill – Floppy Disk (Digitalis)
- Jneiro Jarel – Cosmic Congo (Label Who)
- Jneiro Jarel – Jaws of Clover (Label Who)
- 2nd Gen – Slowburn featuring Mau (Mute)
- Alice Coltrane – Blue Nile
- Cannibal Ox – Scream Phoenix (Def Jux)
- The Echologist – The Mercy Beat featuring The Spaceape
- I.R. featuring Deeder, The Ghost – Galdinos 2010 / D.WattsRiot Mix (Indigenous Resistance)
- Daedelus – Fin de Siècle (Brainfeeder)
I finally got my mitts around Leila’s album, Blood, Looms and Blooms. It’s all in there, such detail to sound, incredible. It’s like Autechre, DeBussy, Sarte.
Gilles Peterson is back with the next chapter in the Havana Cultura series – a compilation of remixes transporting original Cuban grooves on ‘Gilles Peterson presents Havana Cultura: New Cuba Sound’ to the club domain. Louie Vega, 4hero, MJ Cole, Philippe Cohen-Solal from Gotan Project, Rainer Trueby, Carl Cox, and homegrown Cuban producers Edgaro and Wichy de Vedado all contribute. There’s a lavish 12″ featuring reworks by Michel Cleis and Seiji. Did someone say Seiji?
Kevin (The Bug/’King Midas Sound) Martin hit me on the head with a new Black Chow track. Black Chow is K-Mart and Hitomi, two-thirds of King Midas. Black Chow’s Air will surface on Soul Jazz I believe somewhat soonish. Black Chow has found space to operate between the two aforementioned projects in a manner that goes down well in this neighbourhood.
Also on the ‘air’ tip is Dabrye, and man introduced to me via K-Mart. This time Dabrye gets Doom involved and this track is riding on a Madlib remix. How cool is that?
One other major thing this week, Jneiro Jarel, drops in from Viberia to lay on the Android Love Mayhem EP courtesy of his Label Who imprint.
Rub those mittens.
Ear Conditioning – Transmission 16 / Air Particles – broadcasted via Sunhole dot net tonight at 22h00.
- Cuentacuentos Intro
- Leila / Mollie, Mollie (XL)
- Leila / Little Acorns (XL)
- Stacey Pullen / 40thstreetblack (Science/Virgin)
- LD / King of the Kong (Dub Police)
- Bebel Du Guetto / Beijo Na Boca
- Gilles Peterson Presents….Chekere son /Seiji Refix (Brownswood)
- Black Chow – Air (Soul Jazz)
- Jneiro Jarel / Gosohaurd (Label Who)
- Dabrye / Air featuring Doom – Madlib Remix
- Martyn / Brilliant Orange – Illum Sphere Remix (3024)
- Fulgeance / Haggis (Beat Dimensions)
- Oh No / Excalibur (Stones Throw)
- Moody Boyz / Nasty Rockers (Studio Rockers)
- 1 Speed Bike / Kandahar Porn Merchant Moustache Twitch
- Flying Lotus / Heat Wave 2
- Onra / Last Tango in Saigon
Ear Conditioning / Living in Small Places
Gotta be brief, the potaje (Canarian stew) is on the stove, and I’m salivating like Pavlov’s Dog.
Check out Debruit. The monies from his Spatio Temporel EP are being donated to Haiti Relief. The beats are good too!
When lining up the program for this week, I took the Faust CD of the shelf, put it in the thing, and pressed play. When the sound came out the speakers I thought I had put in a Flying Lotus track that I’d never heard of by mistake.
The Playgroup contribution is the original Playgroup, not the Trevor Jackson Playgroup, but the Playgroup that was made up of Adrian Sherwood, Bonjo Iyabinghi Noah, Bruce Smith, George Oban and Style Scott.
iTunes think that people that buy the Gazzillion Ear EP by Doom will be offended by the word ‘whore’ so it appears as Green W**** Net when you purchase it from the site.
Leroy Young, The Grandmaster is not, but what he talks about is, at times.
- Doudou N’daiye Rose – Saber Saf Sap (Virgin France)
- Filastine – Discontinuities / Cardopusher remix of Singularities (Post World Industries)
- Ras G + The Afrikan Space Program – Veggie Burrito (Brainfeeder)
- Faust – Just A Second (Virgin)
- Doom – Gazzilion Ear / Dave Sitek & Jneiro Jarel Remix (Lex)
- Doom – The Green Whore Net (Lex)
- Samiyam – Moon Shoes (Hyperdub)
- Playgroup – Squeek Squawk (On-U Sound)
- Artist Unknown vs. Aphex Twin – Dublicker (mpfree)
- Leroy Young – Nothing but love (StoneTree)
- Dub Colossus – Negus Dub (Real World)
- Bonjay – Faat Gyal
- Debruit – Nigerian What (Civil Music)
- Dorian Concept – Be Tween
- Fujako – Sulphur Goat (Wordsound)
- Flying Lotus – Sangria Spin Cycles (Do-Over)
- Dälek – Classical Homicide (Ipecac)
2tall, DJ Clockwork and Kper present a decades worth of quality hip hop in a megachuck of a downloadable mixtape, yeah, it’s still called a mixtape even though tape bit of the mix ain’t been used since last week.
What’s on it?
Dilla, Spacek, Mos-Def, Co-Flow, El-P, Flying Lotus, Matty G, Loefah, Samiyam, GLK, Ras G, Mike Slott, Danny Breaks, Nosaj Thing, Group Home, High & Mighty, Shawn J. Period, J-Zone, Lootpack, Madlib, Pete Rock, Cannibal Ox, Rdj2, DJ Shadow, Boards of Canada, DJ Vadim, Busdriver, Pharoah Monch, Slum Village, Jaylib, De La Soul+MF Doom , Dabyre, Vast Aire, Roots Manuva, Prefuse 73, The Bug, Boom Bip, Oh No, Georgia Anne Muldrow, Modeselektor, Onra, Rustie, Jneiro Jarel plus about three giga more.
Thanks to Daily Swarm for the heads up. How goes it Todd?