Can’t shake that juvenile feeling of excitement regarding a record release. Instead of running down to the record shop to get the first copy, it’s turn on the ‘puter and check the inbox. When ordering the cd or vinyl of the Flying Lotus ‘Cosmogramma’ album via Bleep one gets an mp3 of said album sent out on day of release also.
Did anyone else get an empty file?
The postman dropped the cd at my door before I could say boo to Bleep.
Being born in the sixties, I was captured by the sight of men going into space. However, btrothers never had a connection with space until George Clinton/Parliament-Funkadelic and Sun-Ra. We watched as a few white men went into orbit, walked, played golf, and drove cars on the moon, and collected rocks. It was George and Sun-Ra that brought space to us, looking at the cosmos, it’s properties and it’s mysteries in the quest. From Chocolate City to The Mothership Connection. With Flying Lotus, it’s from Los Angeles to The Comsos. Cosmogramma, a space beat odyssey . Searching within to capture some of dreams and possibilities of where one can go, reside, exist, partake of, explore, seek.
Funk. That’s one of the things that separates Flying Lotus from a lot of those that bite his sound. He’s got a profound sense of funk that the others miss. A few numbers on Cosmogramma rides on deep bass drawl of Stephen (Thundercat) Brunner, (Suicidal Tendencies/Eryka Badu/Shafiq Husayn).
Rebekah Raff’s control of the harp provides a a perfect floating companion and guide. Dorian Concept, Thom Yorke, Ravi Coltrane and Laura Darlington don’t fall asleep at the wheel either.
Ear Conditioning – Transmission 18 Flying High
Sunhole 22h00 GMT
- Black To Comm / Void
- African Head Charge / Throw It Away (On-U Sound)
- Bim Sherman / Slummy Ghetto (On-U Sound)
- Cornershop / Sounds Super (Beggars Banquet)
- Mohammed Al Madloul / Unknown Title (Sublime Frequencies)
- 1 Speed Bike / Taliban Horton Overnight Price Doubling
- Mistachuck / Tear Down That Wall (SlamJamz)
- King Midas Sound / Earth A Kill Ya (Hypedub)
- Gonjasufi / Duet (Warp)
- Flying Lotus / Computer Face (Warp)
- Flying Lotus featuring Thom Yorke / And The World Laughs At You (Warp)
- Flying Lotus / Infinitum – Dimlite˙s Re-finitum (Warp)
- Flying Lotus / Pickled! (Warp)
- Flying Lotus / Massage Situation (Warp)
- King Midas Sound / Lost -Heat Wave Ham – Flying Lotus Mix (Hyperdub)
- Flying Lotus / Shifty (Plug Research)
- Flying Lotus / Satelllliiiiiteee (Warp)
- Andreya Triana / Lost Where I Belong -Flying Lotus Remix Instrumental (Ninja Tune)
- Radiohead / Reckoner – Flying Lotus Remix
- Flying Lotus / Unexpected Delights featuring Laura Darlington (Plug Research)
This is the tracklisting for the program that was transmitted yesterday at Sunhole dot net. The program is repeated weekday mornings at 11h00, so it’s there for the week.
- Black to Comm / Void (Type)
- Moussa Doumba / Keleya
- Dub1 / Sound of Trumpet
- Gonjasufi / Kowboys and Indians (Warp)
- Rubberoom / Space and Time
- Mos Def / Universal Magnetic (Rawkus)
- Fauna / Piratas del Zanjon – Frikstailers remix
- Mutamassik / ElGabbaraNox (Rough Americana)
- Filastine / Batalha (PostWorld Industries)
- ASC / Porcelain
- Cooly G / Love Dub Refix (Hyperdub)
- Flying Lotus / Heat Wave 2 – (Blu Jemz Beat Machine)
- Wesley Willis / The Frogs (Sympathy for the Record Industry)
- Bad Brains / Banned in DC (Caroline)
- Bad Brains / Supertouch (Caroline)
- Bad Brains / Jam (Caroline)
- Mighty Zulu Nation – King L Man Mix
Phew, that’s another wait over. The wait being yesterday’s release of the Gonjasufi album, A Sufi and a Killer. I thought the album title referred to Gonja and his main production partner on this record, The Gaslamp Killer, but apparently not, it’s the two sides of the man, the peaceful tranquil yoga teacher, and then the somebody who would not hesitate to break a motherfucker off some, should it need to occur.
It’s a trippy record for sure, don’t get me wrong Gonja, this album woulda worked wonders on the set of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.
A batch of records that I ordered some five months back arrived yesterday too, one of them being the Black Comm album. Black to Comm is Marc Ricther, and his album Alphabet 1968 is a radio transmission from over yonder, static, glockenspiels, loops, and distant voices escaping into the atmosphere.
Also in the package was the Mulatu Astatke & The Heliocentrics collaboration on Strut. Yesss!
I’ve always got time for Jnerio Jarel, a man of many aliases. His Dr. Who Dat? guise was the one that dropped on my lap first, and I’m keeping tabs on him for sure now.
The ariel is also alert for James Blake.
Transmission 10 – Air Force One
- J. Robinson, I. Rainford & C.Pearson – Pig Pen2 (Disposable)
- Mulatu Astatke & The Heliocentrics – Addis Black Widow (Strut)
- Sa Ra Creative Partners – Bitch Baby
- Shafiq Husayn – Nirvana (Rapster)
- Dr. Who Dat? – Viberian Experience
- Radiohead – These Are My Twisted Words
- Black to Comm
- Kode 9 & The Spaceape – Time Patrol featuring Chacha (Hyperdub)
- Airhead & James Blake – Lock in the Lion
- Scapler – Threepointonefour (Border)
- Dorian Concept – Sandwich Terror
- Flying Lotus – Disco Balls (Hyperdub)
- The Bug & The Spaceape – Ghosts of Brixton
- Gonjasufi – Duet (Warp)
- King Midas Sound – One Ting / Dabrye Remix (Hyperdub)
- Massive Attack featuring Guy Garvey – Flat of the Blade (Virgin)
- Andy Fairley – Jack The Biscuit (On-U Sound)
- Martin Fredrix – Ennio (On-U Sound)
- Black to Comm – Hotel Freund (Type)
Tune in via Sunhole Radio, tonight at 22h00 London/Tenerife time, and will be repeated weekday mornings at 11h00.